Von Elm spent many hours working in the Idaho weather with a shovel in his hand, overseeing the construction on the Blackfoot Golf Course. In 1956 ground was cleared and grass was then planted on the first four holes in 1957. In 1958 construction started on the last five holes of the front nine. Play commenced on the front nine on June 7, 1960. Construction on the back nine began in 1978 and was completed in 1980.